Friday, July 13, 2012

Edna St.Vincent Millay and the Bard



I just unearthed two precious finds. A copy of What Lips My Lips Have Kissed, a biography of Edna St. Vincent Millay, possibly America’s most romantic poet, and the collection of Shakespeare In Love poems from the Bard’s plays.
The rain I said is kind to come
And speak to me in my new home.
I would I were alive again
To kiss the fingers of the rain...
A poem Vincent(as she was called) wrote in one of her gloomy winter days.
As for me,I was able to escape the thunderous rain though my feet didn’t. I came home to the sound of 105.9FM which was playing Latin and Brazilian songs. I didn’t know I liked Feelings until I heard it in Portuguese accompanied by acoustic guitar. The fingers of the rain have quieted down and the gentle tappings on my windowpane ( like the raven) seemed like music to my ear.
And so lovingly I open my pages...my precious...


No comments: